Monday, January 31, 2011

Taco Chili

Some people call this Taco Soup, others call it Taco Chili...I guess it depends on how thick it is. This one would probably be more like a chili in it's thickness. I like to make up a big pot of this and it feeds us for a couple of days.

I'm not sure where this recipe originated, but I've been making this for at least 8 years and over time I've modified it to this version.

Taco Chili
1 lb lean ground turkey
1 envelope taco seasoning
1 envelope ranch dressing mix
1 qt chicken broth
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 can Rotel Tomatoes, undrained
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup frozen corn

Brown ground turkey in a 5 qt. pot and then drain off any excess fat. (With the 99% fat free ground turkey that I buy there is never any excess fat.) After browning the turkey, add remaining ingredients to the pot and stir gently to combine. Simmer until heated through.

Alternatively, you can assemble this in your slow cooker and let it cook on low for a few hours.

I usually serve this with a sprinkle of shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and a few tortilla chips on the side. Today, I used reduced fat cheese, reduced fat sour cream, and baked tortilla chips in order to lower the calories and fat.

The chili itself has 320 calories in a very generous 1 1/2 cup serving.

Kid Rating: 6 Thumbs Up. They love this each and every time I make it and they ask for it again and again.

3 comments:

  1. MMMMM....We call it taco soup.
    This is very similar to the recipe I use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't made it before nor have I tasted it. I am going to make some for me without the corn of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of this before, but it looks good.

    ReplyDelete

Bloggers love comments! Please share your thoughts!