Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Welcome to The Homeschool Cafeteria

Recently my kids and I set a few goals (New Year's Resolutions if you prefer that term). I was taken aback a bit by one of my oldest's goals. Topping his list was this: Eat Healthier. Now, coming from anyone else that's just a lofty goal and I'd wish them the best. But coming from one of my own children, well, that just hits hard. As the primary "cook and bottle washer" around here it's my job to help him realize that goal. As a homeschool family we can easily get in a rush and our meals, especially the mid-day meal in the middle of a school day, reflect the use of highly processed, high fat, high calorie meals. We get in a rut and things like frozen corn dogs and boxed macaroni and cheese just seem easier and faster.

The long-term effect on my children's health, however, is just not worth the extra 10-20 minutes that it might take to prepare something healthier. My goal in starting this blog is two-fold: 

  1. I want to increase the accountability factor. By sharing daily what I'm feeding my family at lunch time I'll be "putting it all out there." The good and the bad. I also enjoy cooking with my kids and will from time to time share what they are cooking for the family for dinner. 
  2. Because I know that there are many other homeschoolers who struggle day to day with what to put on the table for lunch, it is my hope that this blog might offer ideas for feeding your own family. When applicable, I'll provide recipes and/or photos. 
I'd love to have others join me on this journey. If you have ideas or recipes to share please leave them in the comments section. If I use your ideas I will be sure to credit you when I blog about it. 

Thanks for joining me in The Homeschool Cafeteria...Bon Appetit!

2 comments:

  1. This is a great idea, April! I'll be on the lookout for recipes to share, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm I dont know why any of my posts are not showing up....anyway, I think this is a great idea and can't wait to take the journey with you!

    ReplyDelete

Bloggers love comments! Please share your thoughts!