Friday, February 4, 2011

Snackin' Mix

One of the sweet 4th grade boys in my and Brian's Sunday School class gave us this glass canister filled with a delicious snack mix as a Christmas gift this past December. It was adorably dressed with a pretty ribbon and gift tag. (You might want to keep that idea in mind for next Christmas!) Since the holidays finished I've been replenishing this each week with a snack mix that I've been making. I started with a basic recipe from Luci's Southern Living Cookbook, but have modified and changed it each week I prepare it.

The seasoning for the snack mix consists of 1/2 cup canola oil, an envelop of ranch dip mix, and a teaspoon of red pepper flakes. The red pepper flakes are completely optional though.

You can really use whatever you like in this snack mix, so long as your using about 5 or 6 quarts of assorted crackers, pretzels, cereal, or nuts. I've been varying it each time according to what's on sale at my local grocery store.

There's no cooking involved, just stir together the oil, ranch mix and red pepper flakes and then, using a very large mixing bowl (I find my giant roasting pan works best) combine the oil mixture with the assorted crackers, pretzels, cereal, or nuts.

The snack mix pictured here contains:

1 cup of dry roasted unsalted peanuts
1 large box of reduced sodium oyster crackers
1 box of Ritz Munchies Pretzel Crackers
1 box of Multi Grain Cheerios
1 box Wheat Chex

Some other things I've used so far:
Crispix
Pretzels
Sesame Sticks
Goldfish Crackers
Wheat Thins

I haven't used almonds yet, but I plan to give them a try next time.

Mix and match to your heart's content :) There's no wrong way to do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bloggers love comments! Please share your thoughts!